Just a friendly reminder to review with your family this list of Halloween Safety Tips created by the Orlando Police Department to encourage safety on this busy night. While this holiday provides family and community camaraderie, it is also a time when we all need to be extra cautious.
- Know your children’s route and take a flashlight.
- Be sure costumes, shoes, and treat bags don’t pose any risks or hazards.
- Remind kids not to enter strangers’ homes or cars.
- Be sure to inspect all treats before allowing kids to eat them.
- Remember drivers have a hard time seeing people, especially at dusk.
- Never cross the street between parked cars.
- Watch open flames from jack-o-lanterns as they can catch costumes and long wigs on fire.
- Make sure that fake knives and swords are made from cardboard or other flexible materials to avoid accidental injury or worse having them mistaken for the real thing!
- Turn on your porch light and move lit jack-o-lanterns off the porch where kids get bunched up when trick-or-treating in groups and remove objects from your yard that might present a hazard.
- Keep in mind the effect that all of the visitors might have on your family pets and keep them away from the front door if they seem overwhelmed.
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity to the police (non-emergency number, 321-235-5300).
Be safe and have fun!